To pass the PRC board examination is not so easy as anyone thinks of. In my personal experiences, I took and passed two (2) Licensure Examinations on Foresters and Environmental Planner given by the Professional Regulation Commission (PRC).
Let me share to you some important tips how I passed the board exam, viz;
- Set your Mind. You need to set yourself in order to steer your direction. One of the founding fathers of the United States, Benjamin Franklin had said; “IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU ARE PLANNING TO FAIL”. Basically, it is important that at first, you will make a decision of taking the licensure examination in order to prepare yourself mentally, physically, emotionally and spiritually.
- Resources Inventory. This means that you need to determine those available and lacking resources you have. Resources include your books, references, budget and other things do you think necessary and essential for your success. Arrange your books and references according to subjects areas and schedule. Nowadays, you have all the references available in the internet, take time to find it all.
- Program your Activities. If you have decided to take the exam as early as today, you need to make a schedule of your activities according to subject areas and sub – topics. In Environmental Planner examination, take note of the following major subjects:
- Environmental Planning Processes, Techniques and Strategies
- History, Concepts, Theories and Principles of environmental planning
- Environmental Plan Implementation, Legal aspects and Administration
PD 1308, the old law regulating environmental planning profession has provided a details on the above – mentioned subjects which were the same adopted under RA 10587, such as;
- Physical planning – includes zoning, land use and water resources studies; analysis of micro-climate, vegetation, topography, soil conditions, ecological and geological conditions; site planning; design and planning of infrastructure and transportation systems, communications and utilities systems, housing and community facilities analysis of space standards and interrelationships of building layouts and building envelopes; detailed planning design, etc.;
- Social planning – the sociological, anthropological and demographic aspects and requirements of planning;
- Economic planning – economic resource analysis, assessment of economic facilities, industrial sitting, determination of labor and transport requirements of industries, analysis of statistical information and economic linkages among different economic activities, etc.;
- Planning law and administration – includes organization and administration of a planning agency, preparation of cases in planning and zoning litigations, public policy instruments, professional practice, laws and ethics, and standard rules and regulations, etc.; and
- Special planning studies, project planning, pre-investment and feasibility studies, etc.
- Develop and Observe a Study Habit. In my case, I used to read my notes everyday for at least 10 pages per day. The more pages the better but see to it you understand very well the subject matter.
Reading habit makes a difference. Do it in your most preferable schedule, time and place. But remember, when you do reading at home, avoid lying on bed while studying, you will be tempted to sleep, hehehe… I experienced that one. However, if you are really tired, do not force yourself, give yourself a break.
Try to get attention on those subjects which you think you have little knowledge and understanding. Take note that in environmental planner subjects, there are so many concepts and principles including the authors that you have to memorize and be familiar with.
- Attend a Review or Refresher Course. There are several review centers offering a review in preparation for the board exam. At least you will guided by the Center on what subjects to be given much weight and much less. Second, it will boast your confidence once you pass and much more, if you top the trial examination given by the Review Center. In case, you cannot attend the review course, you may attend the on-line review. If not, then focus on item no. 4. Develop and Observe a study habit.
- Be Updated on Any Developments. Take note of the deadline for application set by the PRC. Try to visit their website at http://www.prc.gov.ph/ . Once you are registered and given an appropriate Notice of Admission (NOA), your school and room assignment will be published at their website – 3 or 2 days before the exam. Visit the assigned Testing Center or School a day before the exam in order to be familiarized of the location. At the very day, do not come late, be at the testing center before 6:30 in the morning. You will not be admitted once the exam has started.
Try to communicate with your friends who are also preparing for the board exam. Sharing of ideas is good as it signifies mastery or familiarity with the subjects.
- Always confer with your Creator.
Submit yourself to God and ask for His guidance and wisdom. King Saul of Israel failed to win his war because he forgot to communicate with His Almighty God. Communicate with Him through your Prayers.